Saturday, February 14, 2015

Intermittent Fasting Journal #1

This is pretty off topic for a beauty blog, but I want to turn this into more of a lifestyle blog. I'm very interested in health and nutrition so I'm going to talk about this today.

I started Intermittent Fasting last week after starting a nutrition class at college. My teacher has a completely unexpected approach to nutrition and eating that has taught me some new things. I’ve done a little research and I have a lot more to do but I wanted to share some things I’ve learned.

The first class he said it’s healthier to eat all of your daily calories in just 1 or 2 meals (spaced 10-12 hours apart) a day because it takes about 10 hours for the glucose (carbohydrate/sugar) in your liver and muscles to be used up and for your body to tap into the glucose in your fat cells. Giving your body a chance to use that glucose is suppose to mimic the results of calorie restriction, without the calorie restriction.

In addition to aiding fat loss, low glucose levels triggers apoptosis (programed cell death) in old and defective (cancer) cells. Diseased cells apparently require 9x more glucose than healthy cells, so when your glucose levels drop they are the first to go. Recent research is showing that dropping glucose levels may be as effective as chemotherapy! Crazy, huh?

I’ve been trying this out the past 10 days, eating a big (for me) breakfast at 8 and a big dinner at 5-5:30 (I can’t last 10 hours quite yet). I do get fairly hungry around 2, I usually feel a little tired too. I’m hoping my body will get use to this soon. I’ve been drinking tea or crystal light (not the best, I know) in the afternoon to help with the hunger. One big upside though is that I feel like I can enjoy food again. In the last months I’ve been working so hard at finding meals that are low calorie but also filling. It’s such a relief to not have to worry about calories and to be able to eat what I want without guilt. I can slather my burrito bowls with tons of homemade guacamole, or occasionally have some freaking pasta!

At first feeling completely full and satisfied made me feel so guilty, which is totally messed up! Food shouldn’t be the center of your world but it should be enjoyed. Even though I’m currently missing lunch I love having a big dinner and not going to bed hungry. I also enjoy not stressing at family parties where we have pizza or lasagna for dinner. I am still eating very healthy food 95% of the time but I’m going to have some treats without guilt more often.

Since starting IF 10 days ago I've lost 2.5 lbs, breaking through my plateau (without working out). I usually take my measurements too but I'm going to wait until March 1st and post an update then.

No comments: